Schluter DITRA Membrane
|PROFILE OF INNOVATION
Schluter®-Systems develops products
specifically for the tile industry to ensure that installations maintain integrity and durability. The Schluter product line
includes tile trims, uncoupling membranes, floor heating systems, waterproof building panels, and shower systems.
For more detailed information on any of their products it is highly recommended to go to their
Web Site to see all of what they offer and they have plenty
of instructions and information.
|Installing Schluter®-DITRA for Interior Floors
Ceramic or Stone Tile
||Areas of Application
- Over any even and structurally sound substrate where waterproofing is desired.
- All seams in DITRA and DITRA-XL matting and floor/wall transitions must be sealed with
KERDI-BAND using unmodified thin-set mortar.
Note: KERDI-BAND must lap DITRA at seams and at
floor/wall transitions by a minimum of 2" in order to maintain waterproof integrity.
- Seaming DITRA and DITRA-XL, including floor/wall connections, with
KERDI-BAND may be appropriate in cases where a
break in the water line of an ice maker or dishwasher can damage pre-existing moisture-sensitive substrates and
underlayments. KERDI-BAND floor/wall connections
are just as easily concealed with wood base as with tile.
KERDI-BAND floor/wall connections in dishwasher
alcoves are parged with thin-set mortar.
- In some applications the vertical section of the floor/wall transition will not accept a bond to unmodified
thin-set mortar. Connections to such elements can be achieved using Schluter®-
KERDI-FIX or suitable trowel applied waterproofing
materials, such as those that require atmospheric moisture to cure (e.g., urethane sealant).
- KERDI-DRAIN may be used to provide
drainage in DITRA and DITRA-XL applications. DITRA/DITRA-XL is sealed to the fleece-laminated
KERDI-DRAIN bonding flange with a section of
KERDI membrane using unmodified thin-set mortar.
KERDI-FIX is used to seal the section of
KERDI to the stainless steel
KERDI-DRAIN bonding flange.
||Areas of Application
- Over structurally sound and even exterior concrete on grade where positive drainage below slab is provided.
- Young concrete (concrete cured less than 28 days).
- Post-tensioned or pre-stressed concrete.
- Cracked concrete.
- Minimum 2" x 2" tile
- Any cracks in concrete subfloor must exhibit in-plane movement only; thin-set tile assemblies, including those
incorporating DITRA or DITRA-XL, cannot accommodate differential vertical displacement.
- Slab to be structurally sound.
- Slab/assembly must be sloped for complete surface drainage.
- Gravel bed or other means of drainage must be provided below slab.
- Slab to be free of waxy or oily films and curing compounds (when present, mechanical scarifying is necessary).
- All seams in DITRA and DITRA-XL and floor/wall transitions must be sealed with
Schluter®-KERDI-BAND using unmodified thin-set
- Sloping of the slab or assembly must be done prior to installing DITRA and DITRA-XL.
- DITRA and DITRA-XL do not eliminate the need for movement joints, including perimeter joints, within the
tiled surface. Movement joints must be installed in accordance with industry standards and norms.
Step-by-Step Installation Instructions
Purchase Ditra Membrane by the foot
- Only 1/8" thick - provides thinnest possible assembly without sacrificing performance.
- Use DITRA for ceramic tile installations over single layer plywood or OSB subfloors on joists spaced
up to 19.2" o.c.
Purchase Ditra XL Membrane by the foot
- 5/16" thick - creates an even transition between typical 5/16"-thick tile and 3/4"-thick hardwood
- Use DITRA-XL for ceramic tile installations over single layer plywood or OSB subfloors on joists spaced
up to 24" o.c.
- DITRA-XL is ideal for installations requiring greater movement accomodation, such as applications using
natural stone tile, large-format tile, etc.
|Various KERDI waterproofing accessories are available. Use
KERDI-BAND to seal butt joints or corner joints.
KERDI-KERECK pre-formed seamless inside and outside
corners and KERDI-SEAL-PS for sealing around pipes
or KERDI-SEAL-MV seals
mixing valve protrusions, and
KERDI-TROWEL also available for installation
of thin-set mortar.