|HOW TO INSTALL COCKTAIL RAILING
Important: ONLY use with 4x4 post and post sleeve. Cutting post and post sleeve ONLY
apply to Cocktail style railing.
|Installing Pressure-Treated Posts
- Posts are to be installed 6' or 8' on center to accomodate railing length.
- Attach posts using ½" carriage bolts.
- Minimum joist size is 2x8.
- Top bolts must be 1" from tops of joists.
- Bottom bolts must be 5-1/8" from top bolts.
|Cutting Post and Post Sleeve
|| Mark and cut post and post sleeve measuring from deck surface:
- 36-3/16" for 36" height
- 42-3/16" for 42" height
NOTE: Blocking can be added for extra strength.
|Installing Post Sleeve Skirts and Post Sleeves
|| Slide post sleeve skirt over post and down to rest on decking surface. Slide
post sleeve over post and position inside post sleeve skirt.
Installing Railing Support Brackets (RSBs)
|| Mark 5-1/2" and 35-1/16" from deck surface OR for 42" height, mark 5-1/2" and 41-1/16"
from the deck surface.
|| Place RSBs directly under the marks, center on posts, and secure with 2" wood screws (provided with post sleeve).
Place top RSBs flat side UP, bottom RSBs flat side DOWN.
|| Measure between posts and cut rails
to same length.
- If using optional rail gaskets subtract 1/16" from each end.
- Attach baluster spacers to railings before cutting to allow for cleaner cut and less work.
- When measuring, cut equal lengths from each side of railing and baluster spacer to ensure equal spacing of balusters
per each railing section.
- In some cases, the gasket can be attached before tighting railing to RSB.
- If gaskets are tight, use a small flat head screwdriver to compress the tabs of the gasket if they are stuck outside
Attaching Bottom Rail (Universal Rail) and Foot Block
NOTE: FOOT BLOCKS COME WITH SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO ATTACH RAILINGS - ALSO REFER TO THESE INSTRUCTIONS
|| Center foot block in universal rail channel or on beveled bottom rail and attach. DO NOT
extend foot block.
|| Lift bottom rail so RSBs are in the channel and attach with self-tapping screws
|| Telescope foot block down and screw through opposite sides. Place screw
Placing Baluster Spacers and Balusters
|| Cut baluster spacers the same length as rails, equally spaced so holes line up.
|| Snap baluster spacer into bottom rail. Place inverted baluster spacer on top of first baluster spacer. Place balusters
in baluster spacer holes.
Attaching Inverted Universal Rail as Top Rail
|| Place inverted universal rail onto RSBs with balusters in channel. Attach universal rail to RSBs with two self-tapping
|| Place deck boards (DO NOT use Select series deck boards for top rail) over universal rails. Attach boards
on each post with Trex recommended composite screws at a diagonal. Secure boards to universal rails with 2" pan-head
screws (not provided) at an angle every 16" on center.
|| Slide baluster spacers up and snap into universal rails.
|NOTE: If necessary, cut tips off rail gaskets prior to installation.
|| Use scarf cut for posts where two deck boards meet.
NOTE: If installing in weather below 40°F, leave 1/8" gap between deck boards.