TwinFinish Ornamental Rail Instruction
What you need to build your Ornamental Rail:
You will need to buy one rail kit and one baluster kit per section of rail. The rail kits
are sold in 6’ and 8’ lengths. Balusters* are pre-cut at 27” and come 20 to a box. You will also need one
TimberTech Post Cover and one TimberTech Post Cap for each 4x4 post. Post Covers* are 48” in length and
Post Caps come in Flat Top or Pyramid Top styles in copper and brushed stainless
steel are available. TimberTech Post Skirts are also available to complement the
TimberTech Ornamental Railing System. Colors available: TimberTech Cedar, Grey,
Redwood and Whitesand.
* Square Balusters and Post Covers are also available in 12’ lengths. Ornamental Spindles are 27”
and are available as kits only.
- TimberTech recommends the use of #8 or #10 x 3-1/2” Stainless Steel or high
quality coated deck screws for the assembly of the Ornamental Rail System. Pre-drilling is required for all
- Heights specified in this guide are for 36” residential use.
- TimberTech should never be used as structural components.
- Prior to installation it is recommended that you consult your local building codes.
- Protective clothing and safety glasses are recommended.
- For all TimberTech products, standard woodworking tools may be used.
- As with any outdoor product, periodic cleaning is recommended.
For Equal Baluster Spacing:
- After installing the Post Cover, measure the distance between the two posts = A
- A - 1.35” = B distance between posts from center of mounted baluster to center of mounted baluster
- B/5” = C if a fractional answer is the result, always round up to the next whole number. (Example: if C = 14.2 then round to
15) C = the number of space you will have between posts
- B / C = D spacing for balusters (on-center dimension and should not exceed 5”) NOTE: The first pre-drill location from
each end of the Universal Rail will be .675” to allow for the post-mounted balusters at each end.
Quantity of Balusters needed:
C (from above) + 1 = X total number of balusters
needed including post-mounted balusters NOTE: X – 2 = number of intermediate balusters
Fasteners are included
in each rail kit.
- Be sure that 4x4’s are vertically plumb. Slide post cover and post skirt over 4x4 posts.
Due to irregularity of dimensional lumber, posts may need to be planed. Do not force cover over post.
- Center and mount one baluster to each post. Position the baluster 5” above the deck surface. See above diagram for fastener
locations. If using ornamental spindle, for increased aesthetic appeal, you may want to rip the spindle in half prior to post attachment.
For factory pre-drilled railings at 5” on center spacing, proceed to step 3. If you prefer to equally space the balusters, proceed to
step 4. If your rails are not pre-drilled, proceed directly to step 4.
- Measure the distance between posts near the top and bottom and transfer these measurements to the universal rails. Remembering
to allow space for the post mounted baluster at each end. The measurement can be centered on a pre-drilled hole or halfway
between two. If the baluster at each end of the railing assembly is close to the post-mounted baluster, you may achieve a more
balanced look by moving the balusters to an intermediate position. Remember that TimberTech baluster spacing must not exceed 5”
from center to center. See layout example below.
Once layout has been determined, cut the universal rails to length and install the balusters. Proceed to step 5.
- For equal spacing of balusters only. Calculate the baluster spacing (see calculation example).
Mark the centers of your balusters on the Universal Rails and pre-drill. Once you have
finished pre-drilling top and bottom Universal Rails, attach your balusters to the two
Universal Rails to create rail assembly. Remember that TimberTech baluster spacing
must not exceed 5” from center to center.
- Once you have the main rail assembly completed, slide the assembly onto the
post-mounted balusters. Baluster retaining lip on the universal rails must be installed
to the outside of the deck.
- Attach the main rail assembly to posts.
- Attach Ornamental Rail to Universal Rail (top).
- Cut support blocks from balusters. Support blocks are to be 2’-0 on-centers.
- Place TimberTech Post Caps over posts and fasten with stainless steel finish nails
or exterior caulk.
TimberTech TwinFascia Board
12’ lengths, 10” and 12” wide by 0.60” thick. TwinFascia is available in TimberTech Cedar, Grey, Redwood and Whitesand. Cedar,
Grey and Redwood TwinFascia have one brushed side and one VertiGrain side. Whitesand TwinFascia has one smooth side and
one ribbed (serrated) side.
- To ensure a consistent appearance from board to board when installing the TwinFascia, the beveled edge must be laid to the
same side. If you rip a piece of TwinFascia be sure to note the location of the bevel on the ripped piece to ensure consistency
- Fasten 2” from the top and bottom every 16” using #8 x 1-1/2” stainless steel or high quality
coated screws, leaving a 1/8” gap between each plank and all other objects.
- TimberTech TwinFascia Board is for vertical applications only and should never be used as
deck planks or structural members.